Antonin Lévy, founding partner, is a member of both the Paris and New York bars. “Technically excellent and an authentic practitioner” according to Chamber’s 2018, Who’s Who Legal 2017 considers Antonin to be a “first-rate lawyer” and a “respected practitioner” in white-collar crime, and more particularly in financial, industrial and securities law matters. According to Global Investigations Review 2016, he is “the name to know” in Paris for investigations.
Antonin represents companies and individuals in complex litigation and investigations at all stages of the proceedings, including investigations commenced by multilateral development banks. He has deep experience in providing advice and representation in a broad range of subjects, including tax fraud, money laundering, anti-corruption, international sanctions and other regulatory and compliance issues, as well as defamation and extradition. He regularly represents legal entities and their executives – both as defendants and victims – in criminal proceedings and has led internal investigations on the commercial activities of companies in diverse industries and countries.
Before co-founding Antonin Lévy & Associés, Antonin was also a partner at Metzner Associés and later developed the white-collar crime department of a leading international law firm in Paris.
Antonin presents at conferences and teaches white-collar crime and compliance. He has written numerous legal articles.
- Represented a large French industrial group during investigations by the World Bank, the African Development Bank and the European Investment Bank in connection with suspected corruption and collusion in West Africa, East Africa and South-East Asia.
- Represented an industrial consortium in connection with a World Bank investigation.
- Represented a French industrial group with negotiating a settlement agreement with the World Bank following the voluntary disclosure of conduct in India.
- Advised and represented a French industrial group with self-reporting to a U.S. regulatory authority.
- Obtained the acquittal of Continental Airlines in its appeal before the Versailles Court of Appeals of a guilty verdict handed down by the court of first instance in connection with the Concorde crash.
- Successfully defended against a request to extradite from France to Georgia a former defense minister pursued on corruption charges.
- Successfully defended against a request to extradite a former Senator from France to Tunisia.
- Assisted BTA Bank in a French extradition proceeding against its former CEO and shareholder.
- Represented Manuel Noreiga, former head of Panama, in French money-laundering proceedings and in the subsequent proceedings for extradition to Panama.
- Defended the former mayor of La Faute-sur-Mer in a criminal proceeding for involuntary homicide after Cyclone Xynthia hit the French coast.
- Led an internal investigation at a building company following a whistle-blower complaint about alleged money laundering practices.
- Defended a public figure with respect to allegations of corrupting foreign public officials in the framework of a French criminal proceeding.
- Represented board members of an insurance company being prosecuted before the Gabonese criminal courts following an airplane accident.
- Advised and defended large American companies in criminal investigations commenced in France for tax fraud and laundering of tax fraud proceeds.
- Represented a Polish company in its appeal in the largest VAT fraud case in France and obtained the cancellation of the judgment and a subsequent acquittal.
- Represented an industrial group during a judicial inquiry on unlawful agreements and favoritism in public procurement.
- “Next Generation Lawyer” in Dispute Resolution: White Collar Crime, Legal 500 EMEA 2018
- Band 1 “Indispensable”, White Collar Crime, Décideurs Magazine, 2018
- Band 3, Dispute Resolution, White Collar Crime, France, Chambers Europe 2018
- Antonin Lévy is « a first-rate lawyer, very calm and practical », Legal 500 EMEA, 2017.
- Listed in Expert Guides, White Collar Crime 2018: Four entries as an “Expert” in Who’s Who Legal France – Business Crime Defense & Investigations, Who’s Who Legal Investigations, Who’s Who Legal Business Crime Defense: Individuals, Who’s Who Legal Business Crime Defense: Corporates
Articles and publications
- What the French Supreme Court Ruling in the Oil for Food Cases Says About Transnational Double Jeopardy, co-authored with Antonin Lévy, The Anti-Corruption Report, 3 October 2018
- The emergence of compliance in France, Expert Guides, March 2018, Antonin Lévy and Ophelia Claude
- Special report: A practical look on the system for combatting money laundering, Cahiers de Droit de l’entreprise. Dossier. No. 4, July-August 2017*
- A practical look at the system for combatting money laundering, Antonin Lévy*
- Liability of persons subject to vigilance obligations, Antonin Lévy and Ophélia Claude, Cahiers de Droit de l’entreprise. No. 4, July-August 2017*
- Money laundering: A favored area for prosecution and settlement, Antonin Lévy and Joris Monin de Flaugergues, July 2017, LexisNexis – Cahier de droit de l’entreprise no. 4, July 2017, Matter 24*
- Practical typology of the punishment for laundering of the proceeds from tax fraud, Antonin Lévy and Salomé Lemasson, Cahiers de droit de l’entreprise, File no. 4, July-August 2017*
- Recent (but improvable) developments in guilty pleas in economic and financial matters, Dr. pénal Oct. 2016, Review no. 21, Antonin Lévy and Joris Monin de Flaugergues*
- Misdemeanor of failing to report the crossing of ownership thresholds: An outdated offense, Dr. pénal Nov. 2015, Review no. 22, Antonin Lévy and Joris Monin de Flaugergues*
- * Articles in french only
Post-graduate degree (DEA) in private law, Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, 2005
LL.M. in General Studies, New York University, 2004
Post-graduate degree (DESS) in law and economic globalization, Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne and Sciences Po, 2003
Sciences Po, 2002
French / English
Former Secrétaire de la Conférence (2007)
Professor, Managing Legal Risks, Sciences Po
Professor, L’Ecole de Guerre;
Auditor, L’Ecole de Guerre Class of 2017
ANTONIN LÉVY & ASSOCIÉS A.A.R.P.I.
Avocats à la Cour
15, rue de Marignan
Antonin Lévy & Associés hosts several trainees throughout the year, mainly for six-month periods. Traineeships are the main way we recruit future associates.
In addition to university training, the firm favors backgrounds that demonstrate team play, conscientiousness and strong professional dedication. Excellent spoken and written English are indispensable.